Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dr.Celine Latulipe Lecture

Summary

Dr. Latulipe visited Texas A&M and gave a talk over her current research on Wednesday. Throughout her graduate school career she focused mainly on two handed interactions, with equal consideration given to both hands. She developed a number of interesting pieces of software which naturally create the opportunity to use two handed motions for input. Currently, she works with a variety of artist on a variety of projects, using their feedback to improve human-computer interaction. She has created and hopes to standardize CSI, an index for determining the effectiveness of creative tools. Her most recent work has analyzed the physiological feedback of audience members watching an artistic performance. She hopes to expand this work, analyzing people in the process of being creative. Overall, her work focuses on interdisciplinary research enabling the discovery of novel concepts which can be useful in many fields.


Discussion

This talk was really enjoyable and a great survey of Dr.Latulipe’s work. I found her examples of photo editing with two hands to be of real intrigue. Without even trying her demo, I can confess that adjusting levels and curves would be much easier and more intuitive with both hands. However, I didn’t find the Ken Burns effect to be as desirable with two hands. (And I’ve done more than my fair share of editing work involving this effect). I am uncertain about her stance on multitouch displays, but I would like to see more of her two handed work, perhaps some incorporated with such displays. I admire her desire to find an effective evaluation method for creative tools. It is difficult to create such a metric and I feel as though she has done a thorough job in creating the CSI test. Her work with physiological sensors is captivating and I am anxious to see it tested with people creating, rather than just watching. Overall, this talk exposed me to a new area of Computer Science which I knew little about before--- which is always greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't go to the lecture, but it sounds really interesting that so much of her work focuses on using both hands. The only thing we tend to use both hands for other than rigorous physical activity is typing on the keyboard. I would be interested to see if she is able to accomplish more with the use of two hands in all her studies.

    ReplyDelete